Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

Post by Ruhe on 18/6/2010, 12:05

The advanced users will surely know PSI, but for all other:

The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks. Attacks exploiting vulnerable programs and plug-ins are rarely blocked by traditional anti-virus and are therefore increasingly "popular" among criminals.

The only solution to block these kind of attacks is to apply security updates, commonly referred to as patches. Patches are offered free-of-charge by most software vendors, however, finding all these patches is a tedious and time consuming task. Secunia PSI automates this and alerts you when your programs and plug-ins require updating to stay secure.

The Secunia PSI works by examining files on your computer (primarily .exe, .dll, and .ocx files). These files contain non-specific meta information provided by the software vendor only. This data is the same for all users, and originates from the installed programs on your computer - never from their configuration. After examining all the files on your local hard drive(s), the collected data is sent to Secunia's servers, which match the data against the Secunia File Signatures engine (https://psi.secunia.com/) to determine the exact applications installed on your system. This information can then be used to provide you with a detailed report of the missing security related updates for your system.

Supported Operating Systems (32 & 64 bit):

• Microsoft Windows 7
  • Microsoft Windows Vista
  • Microsoft Windows XP - Service Pack 2 or later
  • Microsoft Windows 2000 - Service Pack 4

Screenshots
FAQ
Website
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)

Post by ssj100 on 18/6/2010, 18:41

Thanks Ruhe. Managed to run this sandboxed and I scored 100%! I was more impressed that it seemed to run perfectly sandboxed. I might get into the habit of running this a couple of times a month from now on (sandboxed of course haha). As you know, I really dislike having too many installed third party programs on my system, hence the reason for running it sandboxed!

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe on 18/6/2010, 18:59

Currently it's running real time here but will also reconfigure it to on demand later this day. No need to have it running all the time.

You've posted a recommendation here and there: keep your software up-to-date. That is what PSI is for.
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 18/6/2010, 19:02

Ruhe wrote:Currently it's running real time here but will also reconfigure it to on demand later this day. No need to have it running all the time.

You've posted a recommendation here and there: keep your software up-to-date. That is what PSI is for.

Exactly. Thanks for reminding me about this application. I actually tried to run it sandboxed several months ago and it failed - now I know why. My "testing" sandbox (initially created to test malware) is configured to have READ ONLY access to C:\Windows! I've since created another sandbox that has purely the default configuration - Secunia runs fine in this sandbox.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wat0114 on 19/6/2010, 06:25

It's a great tool that always reminds me how easily I forget to keep all my software up to date. %100 is impressive ssj; %99 is my best Smile

wat0114
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top