COMODO as AE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

COMODO as AE

Post by Rico on 4/8/2010, 10:55

I have read somewhere that you could configure comodo defense to act as an anti-execute mechanism. Can someone give me a hand here Smile
How effective is it compared to faronics ant-execute? does it stop scripts, reg, dlls etc??

Just curious also:
does faronics ae have a annual subscription model or fee per version? also is it true that v 3.x does not handle dlls?

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: COMODO as AE

Post by ssj100 on 4/8/2010, 11:18

Yes, I'm fairly sure the instructions are posted somewhere on the Comodo forums by a Comodo moderator called "Josh" (although he went by another name in those times..."3xist"?).

I'd imagine it's just as effective as Faronics Anti-Executable. I'm not sure about any program blocking all "scripts" though. The problem is that some scripts can run freely when a (third-party) program has been white-listed. For example, if "Java.exe" is allowed to run (and of course it would be if you need/want it), scripts coded in "Java" may be allowed to run freely via "Java.exe".

Another example would be with a Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint file - if all Macros are allowed to run (only trusted/signed ones are allowed by default), then (malicious) code could theoretically be programmed as a macro inside a Word/Excel/Powerpoint file. And of course, Word/Excel/Powerpoint would be white-listed by your anti-executable mechanism, and allowed to run, thus also allowing the macro to run and potentially infect your system. This is how Didier Stevens managed to disable SRP in his demonstration a couple of years back.

The (default-deny) "anti-executable" mechanism is a very powerful strategy against malware. In practise, it'd probably stop dead the majority of malware out there. However, I personally believe you also need some form of "containment" mechanism to stop the rest. This is why I always open newly introduced files sandboxed. I've also written in the past that mechanisms/programs like DefenseWall do NOT guarantee all files will be opened "sandboxed" or "untrusted" via double-click (which the average user will almost always do) - you'd need to always right click each file and (manually) run it as "untrusted" to guarantee that it will open "untrusted". With Sandboxie, this is much more easily/conveniently done by simply always opening the folder containing the newly introduced files with a sandboxed "explorer.exe". I think Comodo and its sandboxing mechanism is also on the right track to suit the average user.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. And sorry, I don't know how Faronics charge people these days. With regards to DLL blocking, I'd be surprised if version 3 didn't do this, as version 2 did. I'll check in my VM at some stage for you - I'll test it against the LNK POC exploit (which loaded a foreign DLL).

EDIT: Faronics Anti-executable version 3 fails against Test A of the LNK POC exploit, and I can't find a way to configure it to pass. Therefore, it appears that version 3 doesn't block DLL loading, which is bizarre.

Last edited by ssj100 on 4/8/2010, 12:21; edited 1 time in total

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by burebista on 4/8/2010, 11:31

ssj100 wrote:Yes, I'm fairly sure the instructions are posted somewhere on the Comodo forums by a Comodo moderator called "Josh" (although he went by another name in those times..."3xist"?).
I found this thread on Comodo about pure anti-executable.
Maybe it helps.
burebista

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on 6/8/2010, 08:11

Hi ssj, If its not much trouble, could you please create a subforum for AE apps exclusively? I believe that this type of security deserves special attention as it may be one of the only things left to ward off the cyberplague for surfers. Maybe creating a sticky thread comparing and contrasting all the different AE capable apps and their performance --in terms of file types blockedand exploit resistance etc-- would be great;(considering you have time ofc). This could be sthg of its own right; rivaling the sandboxing/virtualization thread on wilders

On a side note; how does sbie deliever in terms of purely AE against the lnk exploit? does it block dlls and the like?

Thanks. cheers

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 6/8/2010, 09:21

Rico wrote:Hi ssj, If its not much trouble, could you please create a subforum for AE apps exclusively? I believe that this type of security deserves special attention as it may be one of the only things left to ward off the cyberplague for surfers. Maybe creating a sticky thread comparing and contrasting all the different AE capable apps and their performance --in terms of file types blockedand exploit resistance etc-- would be great;(considering you have time ofc). This could be sthg of its own right; rivaling the sandboxing/virtualization thread on wilders

On a side note; how does sbie deliever in terms of purely AE against the lnk exploit? does it block dlls and the like?

Thanks. cheers

I'll have a think about creating a separate sub-forum, and I'm sure patrick etc will have thoughts on it too (we'll discuss it in our own time in a private thread as necessary).

Doing tests against AE capable apps will require exploits in the form of POCs or live malware - I'm afraid I simply don't have the resources for that (I've found it incredibly hard to come across such POCs and live malware). And when I do come across more fancy live malware, they don't seem to work in my VM (for example those rootkits tested in the sandboxing/virtualisation threads) which makes it boring haha. If you know of any source where I can freely and easily get POC/live malware, please feel free to PM me. And I'm not talking about the average malware here in the form of a ".exe" - I'm more interested in testing execution via remote code exploits or via Java code/macros etc. Heck, I'd even be willing to test any privilege escalation exploits to see if they really do bypass SRP once and for all - the fact that it's so hard to actively/purposefully find a POC/live malware of any of these makes me wonder why we're even concerned about them in the first place.

Sandboxie's anti-execution mechanism does not block DLL loading (as far as I can tell), and therefore it does nothing to block the LNK POC exploit. What it does do is contain everything in the sandbox (that is, it does its job).

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on 7/8/2010, 05:50

Thank you for considering this, it would be a freat idea IMHO. Smile I do know quite a few sites with a plethora of exploits and POC, that you may or may not know of. I will PM them to you.

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rico on 7/8/2010, 07:56

one of the many informative posts initiated by you on sbie forums. http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6198&highlight=dll

thought id post the link for future reference

Rico
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 7/8/2010, 09:58

Rico wrote:Thank you for considering this, it would be a freat idea IMHO. Smile I do know quite a few sites with a plethora of exploits and POC, that you may or may not know of. I will PM them to you.

It's all very well to get the sites (yes I did know of most of them), but it's much harder to get working exploits. For example, out of the many buffer overflow exploits discussed in this thread, I could only find one that worked:
http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/security-f7/buffer-overflow-exploit-writing-tutorial-t97.htm

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBrian on 11/8/2010, 04:53

Here's my method: http://forums.comodo.com/defense-sandbox-help-cis/using-comodo-internet-security-as-an-antiexecutable-t60303.0.html

MrBrian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Soyabeaner on 14/8/2010, 00:19

I discovered that one can further lighten the load on disk activity by really disabling the firewall driver (inspect.sys). At least it worked for me in Windows 7 64.

Soyabeaner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum