Online Solutions Security Suite....Anyone Have Any Data...Opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Online Solutions Security Suite....Anyone Have Any Data...Opinions?

Post by simmikie on 23/10/2010, 14:06

i just stumbled upon this app, and there is alot that i like about it. i came from being a beta tester for online armor in it's early to mid development. discovered the joys of comodo firewall, and then to outpost fw free. i thought outpost was pretty good, but became sick of the "we want you to read our updates page, and you have no say in the matter" pop-ups. so here i am trialling the osss beta.

i am wondering ssj, if you would consider performing your battery of tests against it, and maybe provide an informal ranking on how you see it stacking up against it's direct competitors. i have 27days left on the trial before i need to decide if i am going to trash it or buy it.

as i stated there is a lot i like about it. it gives more information about what is going on in my system than anything i have ever used. i really like how it one, divides processes and applications into folders and creates generic rules for the applications and processes inside of those folders, and then creates specific rules for each of those applications via user input, pop-up input, or online templates. i like how the gui is divided into Events, Protection,Firewall, System and there is different functionality for each section. nicely thought out. but outside of the "eye candy" i really do not know how well this app does it's job of protecting the systems it's installed on. is this thing a keeper? has anyone extensively put it through the ringer? has anyone used it for an extended period of time and care to comment on it? i am really hoping that this app is not just another flash in the pan, or a pretty face 'cause i'd really like to keep it.

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Online Solutions Security Suite....Anyone Have Any Data...Opinions?

Post by ssj100 on 23/10/2010, 14:20

Hi simmikie, I've been a bit more tight on time lately, but I'll give OSSS a go against those recent LNK and Excel exploits when I get time.

I installed the Beta on a VM about 2-3 months ago and I noticed that it's essentially a Classical HIPS with a Firewall. I think it has highly configurable file/folder rules, much like Malware Defender.

Therefore, when configured and handled appropriately, it should provide "100%" protection (as with all software with a decent Classical HIPS).

EDIT: could you please give me a link to download the latest version of OSSS?

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simmikie on 23/10/2010, 15:48

ssj100 wrote:Hi simmikie, I've been a bit more tight on time lately, but I'll give OSSS a go against those recent LNK and Excel exploits when I get time.

I installed the Beta on a VM about 2-3 months ago and I noticed that it's essentially a Classical HIPS with a Firewall. I think it has highly configurable file/folder rules, much like Malware Defender.

Therefore, when configured and handled appropriately, it should provide "100%" protection (as with all software with a decent Classical HIPS).

EDIT: could you please give me a link to download the latest version of OSSS?

sure. here is the download page: http://www.online-solutions.ru/en/products/downloads.html

did you know this app has a very comprehensive Autorun, and process Integrity Checker, and even a little viri scanner? i am running the beta 1.6, and this thing has been stable like Gibraltar! small little niggles like the scroll bar will get goofy, and some of the columns will not adjust, but other than that, on my XP Pro SP3 box.....just solid.

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 23/10/2010, 16:24

Cheers, I've downloaded the 1.6 Beta version and I'll test it out some time. Out of curiosity, are you planning on running this alongside DefenseWall? If so, why?

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simmikie on 24/10/2010, 02:40

ssj100 wrote:Cheers, I've downloaded the 1.6 Beta version and I'll test it out some time. Out of curiosity, are you planning on running this alongside DefenseWall? If so, why?

yep. initially i wanted a firewall. i currently have a Trendnet hardware firewall, but i am not in the "i don't need no stinkin' outbound firewall" camp. i believe in controlling what gets to connect to the outerweb. i have a snapshot (actually my primary snapshot) on which i am running Privatewall (or whatever it's called) ver. 7 and i don't really like it. truly goofy app. for instance i noticed a rule that allowed 2 way connections, so unchecked the inbound box to restrict this app to outbound only. damn if this crazy app didn't start blocking outbound connections. Shocked and no matter what i did, it would not allow outbound connections. i even rechecked the allow inbound box (which really tweaked me) and it still blocked the outbound (remember this app was working fine up until i tried to restrict INBOUND connections). Privatewall has a function where i can just tell the firewall to just ignore packet filtering to an app on an individual basis. this is what i had to do to restore outbound connectivity. the search was on then buddy. also (for me) the app provides no useful information and the logs (for me) take forever to load, if i want custom info. i cannot get this firewall for instance to tell me anything about what svchost is doing. that is usually one of the first system processes i want to tame. right now it's just running willy-nilly all over my system and connecting to wherever it wants whenever it wants. time to go beotch!

i have done comodo, but they have gone overboard in my opinion and Melih is a headcase. i have done kerio 2.15, i liked it....i liked it too much. all i could think about was making rules for Kerio. at work, or at home all i thought about were my kerio rulesets. seriously obsessive, nutty stuff. Outpost, after i decided Comodo was no longer welcome on my system, i bought a license for Outpost 6.5, but i dislike Agnitum, and was luke warm about the app itself, so after the license expired, i used Outpost free for a couple of months, but kept receiving pop-ups to read their news which i was compelled to do to close the pop-up. that was enough of that. and perhaps the most obvious, why not Defensewall 3.0? well and this is probably going to put me in the doghouse. but i remember on Defensewalls forum Ilya asked some question about a port. and i remember thinking to myself, this is the guy that is writing a firewall? in fairness, it seems that the end result has turned out fine, and i will probably upgrade to 3.0. but just have not done so to this point.

but to answer the question you are really asking, why am i using a classical HIPS with Defensewall, it's simple. i did not realise the HIPS component was so comprehensive. i signed on because of the granularity and information offered by the firewall component. now it just so happens i like the complete package. while alot of it's functionalty is more advanced than i need, i simply luv the depth of information this app provides about what is going on with my system. so if you demonstrates that it protects well, in spite of Defensewall 2.56, and maybe 3.0, OSSS will be a keeper.

bet you won't be asking me why i do or don't do something again....will ya?? lol!

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 24/10/2010, 03:52

Haha, on the contrary, I'll be asking more and more mate!

Didn't realise you were still using DefenseWall version 2.56. I'm no expert in Firewalls (don't even come close), but DefenseWall's Firewall appears to control outbound connections fairly well and simply too.

What's the support from OSSS like by the way?

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simmikie on 24/10/2010, 05:14

ssj100 wrote:Haha, on the contrary, I'll be asking more and more mate!

okay if you insist! just remember to bring a pillow. Wink

ssj100 wrote:Didn't realise you were still using DefenseWall version 2.56. I'm no expert in Firewalls (don't even come close), but DefenseWall's Firewall appears to control outbound connections fairly well and simply too.

yes i have come to the same conclusion. heck i believe i will bite the bullet tonight. since my data drive is still in Shadow Mode (was waiting to see if noors needed me to check something else before i rebooted) i'll watch a little more of the Alabama-Tennessee game and if noors isn't back, i may upgrade tonight.

ssj100 wrote:What's the support from OSSS like by the way?

i don't know yet. well the forum while a little slow, inquires do seem to get answered in a timely manner. however, i noticed a few times a moderator or admin would promise a follow-up, and then seem to fail to do so. to me that is kind of a no-no. if one says it, one should follow through.

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmikie on 29/10/2010, 23:31

hey ssj. have you been able to carve out a block of time to test OSSS?

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 30/10/2010, 02:25

Hey simmikie. Sorry, I'll get on to it "today".

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 30/10/2010, 03:33

OSSS 1.6.0.0 fails this test in default configuration: http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/security-f7/dll-exploit-testing-t257.htm#2011

OSSS 1.6.0.0 passes here (default configuration): http://ssj100.fullsubject.com/security-f7/excel-exploit-testing-t266.htm#2096

I suspect that if you manually configured all the rules by yourself etc, OSSS would pass the DLL test, just like any other Classical HIPS. For me personally, that is a big hassle, and I feel I get more protection from default-deny technology (I use SRP).

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by simmikie on 30/10/2010, 07:44

hey ssj, no sweat.

the results seem to be on par with the major players in the HIPS arena, so that is not terrible. of course i would have liked to see it have popped-up or blocked both test.

the thing i have noticed, is a couple of the other HIPS gave more detail in the pop-up. as OSSS displays i might have allowed that behavior. but had i seen the directory information as Comodo and OA provide, i definitely would have blocked it. i know svchost does not reside in a TEMP folder.

i will send you a PM. thanks for sarificing your time....much appreciated.

Mike

simmikie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 30/10/2010, 08:46

DLL blocking is never going to be "default on" for the HIPS, otherwise your computer might not start if you block the wrong DLL haha. You'll always have to configure it yourself. That's why OSSS failed that DLL exploit in default configuration.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum