China uses Reurnil for surveillance and bot-netting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

China uses Reurnil for surveillance and bot-netting?

Post by Peace on 2/1/2011, 17:07

Great site Mr ssj100, ive been lurking and following your posts here and over at the Wilders ( before the ban ofcourse)

"My concerns with Returnil is not with the quality of the software for it does do a great job. My problem is the fact that they eventually write sub-systems on your machine that allows them to turn your computer into a bot-net computer if they decide to do so. Normally they do this within the 32 bit format and it is very hard to detect. However since I use layered security blocking Returnil from the Svchost at the third or forth layer I noticed they would eventually write a 16-bit sub-system because they could not get into my system otherwise. It is always aggressive and it is always leads to a private ip address in China. Not a company in China, but to a private address. In the process of reverse engineering the hack it always leads to China. Yes Returnil has offices in China and other countries, but the IP always leads back to a Chinese private ip. Even the ip from China is hard to find and would be impossible for the average computer person, however I know how to dig it out of the memory."

"I fear Returnil has made some bad choices and agreements with China to allow their system to be used for surveillance as well as bot-netting computers around the world. The potential for this software to be used by China to hack other computers could be a very real and present danger."

http://2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18237

any truth to this or is a just extreme paranoia from a conspiracy theory site?

thanks

Peace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: China uses Reurnil for surveillance and bot-netting?

Post by p2u on 2/1/2011, 19:59

Peace wrote:any truth to this or is a just extreme paranoia from a conspiracy theory site?
Sounds like sinophobia to me. I have never used Returnil (actually I don't use any third-party security software at all), but if I were really paranoid, I would be far more concerned about firmware rootkits actually (you know: all that pre-installed junk for hardware support that comes with a newly-bought laptop).

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 3/1/2011, 00:10

Welcome to the forums Peace!

I have no idea about this Returnil issue, but I would guess that it is more paranoia than anything else. Why don't you try asking this question on their official support forum?

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace on 3/1/2011, 15:33

Thanks Mr Paul and Mr ssj100 for your replies.
I should have done a search before posting this.. Sorry about that.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=04d7dd503fe5a23f8e5c5a86079385f7&t=277236&highlight=Returnil+china

btw, Mr ssj100
any chance for a more "noobfriendly" securitysetup (as you promised a while back) and maybe for Win7?

Peace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 3/1/2011, 15:37

Hi Peace, sorry I don't remember promising a more "noobfriendly" setup haha.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peace on 3/1/2011, 16:37

Mr ssj100 well you didn't exactly promise, you talked about it on a thread somewhere on this forum (you didn't use the term "noobfriendly" setup. )

Nevermind Smile

Peace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top