lightweight security?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lightweight security?

Post by Spacker on 16/4/2011, 15:32

Hey guys was just wondering what a good free lightweight setup would be for a paranoid user running Windows 7 32bit Home. I have just been looking at ssj's setup and it looks pretty nice but as i just found out Software Restriction Policies (SRP) dosent excist in home versions of windows, is there a alternative or some software that does the same thing?.

Edit: Never mind i should of checked first, found the post about parental controll. How should i go about installing software on a fresh installed windows 7 with 2 users ME (Admin) ME2 (Standard User Account).

Spacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: lightweight security?

Post by ssj100 on 17/4/2011, 07:36

Spacker wrote:How should i go about installing software on a fresh installed windows 7 with 2 users ME (Admin) ME2 (Standard User Account).
Just install software in your Administrator account. With Windows 7, you can also install software properly by right clicking the installation file and run it as Administrator.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spacker on 17/4/2011, 09:47

thanks alot seems to work fine except im having problems with sandboxie. What is the best way to install sandboxie on a standard user account?. I created a new admin account and changed my current to standard whilst sandboxie was installed, but i get random errors and have to start sandboxie control manual even tho its in system startup. i want to be able to have firefox & sandboxie on both standard and admins. mbam pro, revo etc show on both accounts but its just sandboxie, i guess i have to install sandboxie twice on each login?, thanks.

Spacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by p2u on 17/4/2011, 10:10

ssj100 wrote:
Spacker wrote:How should i go about installing software on a fresh installed windows 7 with 2 users ME (Admin) ME2 (Standard User Account).
Just install software in your Administrator account. With Windows 7, you can also install software properly by right clicking the installation file and run it as Administrator.
I'd like to add the following: Suppose you've already activated Parental Controls and you install a new program in your admin account. Now, if you want the Standard User to use this new program, you should specifically add it (and its executable components) to the per-user "Allowed" list after install; new programs are not automatically added to that list, at least not on Vista.

Paul

p2u
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 17/4/2011, 13:15

Spacker wrote:thanks alot seems to work fine except im having problems with sandboxie. What is the best way to install sandboxie on a standard user account?.
To be honest, I'm not really familiar with Windows Vista/7. However, the best way to install Sandboxie in a SUA is also to install it with Administrator rights. It should then be completely accessible and functional in both Admin and Standard accounts.
Spacker wrote:I created a new admin account and changed my current to standard whilst sandboxie was installed
You mean you changed your original Admin account into a standard account? I don't think that's a good idea, and it may explain the problems you're having. What you need to do is keep your original Admin account and then create a new SUA.
Spacker wrote:i guess i have to install sandboxie twice on each login?
No, you only need to install Sandboxie in your Administrator account.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spacker on 17/4/2011, 14:23

ah ok thanks alot, i will make a new account the standard, and reinstall sandboxie. even tho im on windows 7 home i do miss xp pro alot sometimes lol. im just currently messing around looking for a nice and light setup, atm im just running mbam pro real time and a sandboxed web browser with DEP for all programs and services, windows firewall, and atm using NoScript for the 1st time, i avoided it in the past mainly because i am lazy heh.

Spacker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top