Sandboxie and Virtual Machines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sandboxie and Virtual Machines

Post by ssj100 on 2/5/2011, 07:49

I was just reading about someone wanting to use Sandboxie with Virtual Machines - that is, running their Virtual Machine inside Sandboxie.

I've personally been happily running VirtualBox inside Sandboxie with no problems at all. I've been doing it for about 2 years. However, I only do this when I am testing live malware, which is not very often anymore.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I've not noticed any conflicts when running VirtualBox inside Sandboxie, so it certainly is possible. Does it truly give extra protection? I'm not 100% sure, but it feels like it does haha. I've tried making new snapshots etc. inside Sandboxie and all is functional. When I delete the sandbox, everything reverts back to baseline (of course it does, otherwise Sandboxie would have been "bypassed").

I have also tested this scenario with Shadow Defender, and it works fine too. Of course, the more (real-time) third party security software installed, the higher chance there is of conflict.

Does anyone else ever run their Virtual Machines inside Sandboxie or Shadow Defender etc?

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sandboxie and Virtual Machines

Post by kjdemuth on 3/5/2011, 20:27

Yeah that was me. By the response I recieved from the wilders folks, I don't think it can be done easily. For some reason I thought it would be easy to perform. For the moment I'm running VMware with win 7 ultimate and on my host I have shadowdefender running.

kjdemuth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top