Windows Media Player kinda suck...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows Media Player kinda suck...

Post by Guest on 5/3/2012, 07:22

So, I figured I would make of Windows Media Player (Windows 7) my own multimedia player, but to my surprise it needs codecs to play AVI videos. It plays the sound, but not the video. Mad It also doesn't play FLV videos; not even the sound.

The alternative would be to get one of those codec packs, but I really would dislike that approach. I'd prefer to get individual codecs... I'll have to look.

I wonder why Windows Media Player lacks this support. There's Xvid, which is an open source codec project, which I believe has Avi support.

Bummer... I suppose I'll keep using VLC Media Player then.

On the bright side, Secunia has no reported vulnerabilities for the most current version of Xvid, which dates from mid 2011. Laughing

-edit-

Something confusing is that Avi format was developed my Microsoft.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows Media Player kinda suck...

Post by ssj100 on 5/3/2012, 09:34

Yes, I've always found that frustrating/annoying. I also have VLC Media Player installed. For pretty much as long as I can remember, I've also been using the K-Lite Codec Pack and I also install Media Player Classic with it. Out of habit though, the default Video player for me is Windows Media Player!

The funny thing is that I've occasionally come across video files that the K-Lite Codec Pack could not play. However, VLC was able to play it! In fact, I'm struggling to recall a video file that VLC was unable to play.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 5/3/2012, 22:13

Yes, VLC seems to be a treasure... Exclamation

It's stupid that we can't even consider to use Windows Media Player as our only media player, when it's something already native. What a Face

I'll try out Xvid and see if it allows to play what I want, using Windows Media Player... But, this would mean third-party code as well. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6/3/2012, 06:04

I figured I could try and convert the Avi files, but they got a few MBs larger and with a bit less quality in the video image.

Granted, I'm not an expert using the tool that worked in my system - XMedia Recode. Laughing

I tried a few converters, but all others simply failed to work or were web installers. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 6/3/2012, 09:32

I've never found a great video converter. Some suggestions from others would be nice. I rarely use them, but I always have to take time surfing around for one when I need one.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/3/2012, 03:41

Heck! I tried a few different codec packs (shark007, K-Lite, etc), but WMP is still unable to play the video. Evil or Very Mad

I downloaded a tool called Gspot, which allows us to input a video and it will tell us the codec that was used. According to it, the codec used belongs to TechSmith. So, I downloaded the codec from their website, installed it, but nothing. Question

It's freaking insane.

We can't even make of WMP our only media player, and instead of making it be an actual valid choice, Microsoft is rather busy ruining Windows 8 with their Metro nonsense for the Desktop. What a Face I mean, why make WMP better, right? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 8/3/2012, 10:09

m00nbl00d wrote:Heck! I tried a few different codec packs (shark007, K-Lite, etc), but WMP is still unable to play the video. Evil or Very Mad

I downloaded a tool called Gspot, which allows us to input a video and it will tell us the codec that was used. According to it, the codec used belongs to TechSmith. So, I downloaded the codec from their website, installed it, but nothing. Question

It's freaking insane.

We can't even make of WMP our only media player, and instead of making it be an actual valid choice, Microsoft is rather busy ruining Windows 8 with their Metro nonsense for the Desktop. What a Face I mean, why make WMP better, right? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Crazy stuff. I'm a little surprised that K-Lite couldn't play it. I think I've only come across one or two videos in the last 5-6 years that K-Lite couldn't play. What's the file type?

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11/3/2012, 00:31

*.avi

It was also a shock to see no codec pack allowed me to play it. scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14/3/2012, 18:33

I'm using K-Lite Codec Pack 6.20 full at the moment and it seems very good, I think it comes with a Media Player Classic.

filename K-Lite_Codec_Pack_620_Full.exe

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 on 15/3/2012, 01:32

What about PotPlayer.
Have you guys ever used it?
Peter5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 16/3/2012, 10:01

patrick wrote:I'm using K-Lite Codec Pack 6.20 full at the moment and it seems very good, I think it comes with a Media Player Classic.

I'm on version 8.10 and it generally works great. Any reason why you're not updating patrick?
Peter5 wrote:What about PotPlayer.
Never heard of it.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/3/2012, 20:29

Hi ssj100,
I just haven't got around to updating it, everything's been running ok Smile

ssj100 wrote:
patrick wrote:I'm using K-Lite Codec Pack 6.20 full at the moment and it seems very good, I think it comes with a Media Player Classic.

I'm on version 8.10 and it generally works great. Any reason why you're not updating patrick?
Peter5 wrote:What about PotPlayer.
Never heard of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter5 on 16/3/2012, 23:38

ssj100 wrote:
Never heard of it.

It is from the same creator of KMplayer (before it got sold to pandora if i am not mistaken).
It is not very well known, i had to submit it to secunia (security by obscurity Smile )

I have started using this week and i am very impressed (at least until now).
Plenty of features and specially playback is very smooth, no matter the quality and the size of the file.
Peter5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17/3/2012, 00:11

It ends up being frustrating, actually. On one hand, WMP won't play a few formats, so we need extra applications in our systems; on the other hand, we can't truly ditch WMP, because some video (for example) may be in Microsoft's proprietary format, and therefore we got no other option than have it... just for those moments.

It actually happened with me quite sometime ago. I wanted to play a video, but VLC Media Player didn't play it, because it's a Microsoft proprietary format.

This is 100% stupid. If it's to have WMP, then it may as well play the most common formats.

If other closed source media players can play them, then I take it it's not a license related issue... scratch So... why doesn't WMP play them? Plain Microsoft arrogance? confused

Back to top Go down

Post by kjdemuth on 17/3/2012, 20:59

Winamp is my media player of choice. Works great for music and video's. I use easy CD DA extractor for audio conversion. I'll also use quicktime for some video's as well. WinAmp pro is my default player though.

kjdemuth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dude111 on 31/8/2012, 09:07

I love WMP .. I have v9 and i think its THE BEST OF THE SERIES!!!!! (Goes way downhill after 9)

ANY MEDIA PLAYER should play ANYTHING if you have the codecs to do it Smile

I have 4 players: WMP9,Realplayer 8+,VLC and Screamer (www.screamer-radio.com) and I absolutely LOVE SCREAMER!!!! -- Easily save stuff your listening to,etc......

Dude111

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sophie2012 on 3/9/2012, 20:02

Windows Media Player kinda suck yes it dose Crying or Very sad

sophie2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content