Sandboxie's configuration password

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sandboxie's configuration password

Post by Guest on 13/4/2012, 01:53

There's been a long time since I last messed with Sandboxie's configuration. I decided to do some cleaning. So, obviously I was prompted for the password. After entering it, the changes were applied.

Now, the real issue. I had forgotten to allow access to a folder to a program. So, I opened Sandboxie Control, and to my surprise I was able to make the appropriate changes to that sandbox/other, without having to reintroduce the password.

Back then, I did set my password in my administrator's account. I made the changes from within a standard user account, in Windows 7.

Can anyone reproduce it?

Back to top Go down

Re: Sandboxie's configuration password

Post by Guest on 13/4/2012, 01:55

-edit-

Only if log off, is that Sandboxie will ask for my password again. Shouldn't Sandboxie ask for the password, again, as soon as we close Sandboxie Control (Close it to the tray bar)?

Back to top Go down

Post by blues on 13/4/2012, 02:58

When I request a change and Sandboxie asks for my password, once I click "OK" and close (not minimize) Sandboxie Control...I must re-enter my password when I bring up Sandboxie Control (by double clicking the tray icon) to change the rule back to what I had started with.

There is no need to re-enter the password a second time after clicking "OK" and closing Sanboxie Control.

I am running XP Pro SP3.

blues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13/4/2012, 03:43

blues wrote:When I request a change and Sandboxie asks for my password, once I click "OK" and close (not minimize) Sandboxie Control...I must re-enter my password when I bring up Sandboxie Control (by double clicking the tray icon) to change the rule back to what I had started with.

What exactly do you mean with "once I click "OK" and close (not minimize) Sandboxie Control"? I mean, the "not minimize". Do you mean kill Sandboxie Control process?

I believe it's that, otherwise the rest of your comment seems a bit contradictory. Neutral

There is no need to re-enter the password a second time after clicking "OK" and closing Sanboxie Control.

I am running XP Pro SP3.

That's debatable, isn't it? If you're the only user of the computer, then I agree. I actually would go as far as asking What would you need a password for? If you're the only user, there's no need to password-protect it, IMHO. It's not like we're password-protecting our user accounts.

But, if we do share out computers with others, and we happen to be the administrators of the said computer, then if we make a change in the configuration, maybe due to something not working as it should, maybe an application that now needs a new process to be allowed, etc., then the other user will be able to make any changes to the configuration. scratch

The password should only be valid for "sessions". What I mean is, as soon as we click OK, then Sandboxie should make the user have to enter it again, if the user wants to make another change.

Back to top Go down

Post by blues on 13/4/2012, 03:55

m00nbl00d, you seem to be looking for an argument when I'm just trying to reply to your request. I'll try to clarify and then I'll bow out of this discussion.

1. I mean close the Sandboxie Control window by clicking the red "x" in the upper right corner.
(If I want to reopen Sandboxie Control after that, I double click or right click the tray icon.)

2. I'm not discussing the "need" in terms of good and bad or what's the best approach. I meant that there is no "need" to do so as the application does not make a second request for you to enter the password after clicking "OK".

Once the control window is closed, you would then 'need' to re-enter the password the next time the Sandboxie Control window is opened to make any changes to the settings.

I hope that is clearer.

blues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13/4/2012, 20:37

I don't know why you're saying I'm looking for an argument?

I just posted about something that I noticed happening, and then I replied to you saying I wasn't exactly understanding what you meant with all that, because to me, it sounded a bit contradictory.

If you consider that to be some sort of an argument, then I'm sorry to hear about that. I never had intentions of making it look like that.

But, I'm afraid to tell you that you're still very confusing about what you're saying.

To summarize:

My first post mentioned that I didn't have to reenter my password, after closing Sandboxie Control. With this, I mean closing it, by clicking the red "x".

If I reopen Sandboxie Control, by double-clicking or right-clicking the tray icon, and make changes to any sandbox, then Sandboxie allows the changes.

That's all I said.

Then you replied, saying that when you first make a change Sandboxie asks for the password. This is normal. It should happen.
You also mentioned that, once I click "OK" and close (not minimize) Sandboxie Control...I must re-enter my password when I bring up Sandboxie Control

This is the opposite situation of mine. Sandboxie isn't asking me to enter it, at all.

But then, in the same post of yours, you mentioned that There is no need to re-enter the password a second time after clicking "OK" and closing Sanboxie Control..

This is where I got lost. I didn't know if you meant it as in "No, Sandboxie doesn't ask to reenter the password.", or if you meant it literally, as in "Despite the fact that it asks, there would be no need.".

You thought I was being rude... So be it.

But, in your last reply you do mention that Once the control window is closed, you would then 'need' to re-enter the password the next time the Sandboxie Control window is opened to make any changes to the settings..

This answers the doubt.

There was no need for you to be so defensive, when it was part of your post that was contradicting with something you have said.

So, in my case, Sandboxie is not asking to reenter my password. And, when you said There is no need to re-enter the password a second time after clicking "OK" and closing Sanboxie Control., I'm sure you can appreciate the fact this would be confusing.

Anyway, I don't wish to upset you any longer, so of course you're free not to comment further in this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by blues on 13/4/2012, 21:29

If I open Sandboxie Control and edit settings for any of my several sandboxes, once I click "apply" the program will ask me to enter my password.
I can then either make other changes in that sandbox or click "ok" which will finish the job with that particular sandbox.

The Sancboxie Control window remains open at this point and I can go to any of my sandboxes and continue to make changes without entering my password again.

However, once I close the Sandboxie Control window (red "x" in upper right corner), the next time I open it via the tray icon and attempt to apply any changes to any of my sandboxes I will then have to enter my password again. (This password log-in remains effective until the point I close the Sandboxie Control window once again.)

I hope that resolves any confusion.

blues

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16/4/2012, 03:09

Thanks for your input on this topic
I'm locking this thread now

with just a small Admin note/advisory

Try not to get too personal, discussion without personal attacks or slights is the only acceptable form of dialogue on this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top