Chrome SRP rules under Win XP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chrome SRP rules under Win XP

Post by wat0114 on 24/5/2012, 22:42

I'm not sure if anyone's posted these already, but here are the additional path rules I've found necessary to run Chrome browser under an SRP (Software Restriction Policy) environment, at least in typical cases where Chrome is installed under the user's profile:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\19.0.1084.52\chrome.dll   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\ApplicationData\Google\Chrome\Application\19.0.1084.52\gcswf32.dll   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\19.0.1084.52\icudt.dll   
C:\documents and settings\*\local settings\application data\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.3.21.111\GoogleUpdateOnDemand.exe   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.3.21.111\goopdate.dll   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\1.3.21.111\psuser.dll   
C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

Note the wildcard "*" allows the rules to be used for any user's profile.

If also using Sandboxie, GoogleUpdate.exe needs to be added to Start/Run Access and Internet Access, and GoogleUpdateOnDemand.exe needs to added to only Start/Run Access.

wat0114
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chrome SRP rules under Win XP

Post by ssj100 on 25/5/2012, 01:02

I always wondered why one would install anything under the user's profile, particularly on Windows XP with SRP rules enforced. Chrome must be the only browser out there that does this (by default)?

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wat0114 on 25/5/2012, 02:01

Most people aren't aware of the alternate installer for all users:

-http://support.google.com/installer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=126299

and of course Chrome will by default install to user space. I believe those SRP path rules will secure it properly, as they allow only the specific Chrome file types to execute. I was curious to see what it would take to add them to the SRP profile, and it's not too bad. My son is the only one using the pc so I installed Chrome under only his user space, but I decided to use the "*" wildcard for the path rules I provided.

wat0114
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top