Configurations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Configurations?

Post by wingman on 19/5/2010, 06:58

Being a new user and learning, you said; "Create as many separate sandboxes as is required for your internet facing applications"
Would this be for each web browser (such as Opera, Firefox, and IE) ?
Right now I have one box for Thebat!. And another box for browsers, VLC, PDF Viewer, Internet Download Manager, and BookmarkBuddy. Should these be split up into separate boxes?
wingman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Configurations?

Post by ssj100 on 19/5/2010, 08:47

Yes I would recommend splitting them into separate boxes, but it's really up to you.

I actually have my chat messenger program (Pidgin) and Firefox in the same sandbox. All my other programs generally have their own individual sandboxes though.

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman on 20/5/2010, 00:33

ssj100 wrote:Yes I would recommend splitting them into separate boxes, but it's really up to you.

I actually have my chat messenger program (Pidgin) and Firefox in the same sandbox. All my other programs generally have their own individual sandboxes though.

Thanks, I give it a try. How much more security will I gain using more boxes?
wingman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 20/5/2010, 00:36

I don't think it's really a matter of "more security", but rather "cleaner and more intelligent security" haha. I guess separating them out into individual sandboxes means that you can limit the start/run/internet access restrictions even further.

Also, having an internet facing etc application in their own individual sandboxes means you can configure each sandbox for its specific needs etc.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by wingman on 20/5/2010, 00:47

ssj100 wrote:I don't think it's really a matter of "more security", but rather "cleaner and more intelligent security" haha. I guess separating them out into individual sandboxes means that you can limit the start/run/internet access restrictions even further.

Also, having an internet facing etc application in their own individual sandboxes means you can configure each sandbox for its specific needs etc.

The problem would be that I need IDM and BookmarkBuddy in each of the browser boxes. Also BB needs a special line in the ini file, would I move that to the "Global Settings"?
I will experiment, and report back. Nice too have FristDefense!
Thank you.
wingman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 20/5/2010, 07:22

Yes, I also have FDM (Free Download Manager) forced to run with my Firefox browser in the same sandbox. This is actually optional, as I recall Firefox calls up FDM fine anyway in its sandbox. However, I decided that since FDM was an "internet facing application", it deserved to be forced to run in a sandbox too.

Essentially, don't be afraid to force run multiple programs in one sandbox - it works out just fine and is very secure. Yes, experimenting is the best way to set up Sandboxie to just how you want it. Once it's all setup, you'll never look back.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20/5/2010, 18:22

I,ve run multiple programs in one Sandbox for a long time now and haven't experienced any problems.
Sometimes I don't accept "quick recovery" if I've downloaded a program I'm unsure off then virus checking it etc before allowing it out.
I like to manually delete contents.
I keep meaning to get around to sorting out into individual Sandbox per app then you can delete contents of each app as it closes and still have Sandboxed apps running.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27/5/2010, 12:55

Patrick said:
"Sometimes I don't accept "quick recovery" if I've downloaded a program I'm unsure off then virus checking it etc before allowing it out."

Me too.
In fact I do not enable quick recovery in any Sandbox.

I also have all of my Games that require "simulate keyboard and mouse input" in one box,and the ones who do not in a second.

My media players,and PDF readers are in a single really restrictive sandbox.

noor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top