Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1

Post by Ruhe on 12/6/2010, 21:13

Whats your opinion or experience with Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1?

I'm using Sandboxie. Because of this for me the on-access and overall system speed of an antivirus product is more important
than security. Thats the reason why I've used Kaspersky Antivirus so far - it only re-scans a file if it has modified. Avira for
example scans a file on every start. The new Avast 5 seems to use a similar technique like Kaspersky (some sort of white-listing).

AFAIK Panda Cloud Antivirus is or should be very fast too.
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Panda Cloud Antivirus 1.1

Post by ssj100 on 13/6/2010, 00:03

You can configure Avira so it only scans on writing? Also, it's debatable whether you even need a real-time scanner if you use Sandboxie properly. In fact, you don't need one at all - just on-demand is sufficient. You only need to scan files you recover out of the sandbox. This is particularly true when you combine this containment level of protection with a default denial mechanism (I use SRP).

I tested Panda Cloud Antivirus in my VM recently and it seemed alrite. Nothing special but I think it's quite light. I also read on AV-comparatives that Panda did really well on the latest retrospective scanning test. The only strange thing I found was that Panda Cloud Antivirus took quite a while to install into the system...which I found odd given it "lives in the cloud".

Drive SnapShot (on-demand)
ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://ssj100.fullsubject.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruhe on 13/6/2010, 00:09

I install applications outside of Sandboxie and/but run them sandboxed.
Therefore I - and will always - use an on-access scanner.
Ruhe
Valued Member
Valued Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 13/6/2010, 00:17

Ruhe wrote:I install applications outside of Sandboxie and/but run them sandboxed.
Therefore I - and will always - use an on-access scanner.

So all you need to do is to install applications from trusted sources. If you don't trust your sources, then you probably shouldn't be using it. On-access scanners don't detect everything. "63% detection" is what you're relying on otherwise (see latest AV-comparatives report), and this was the top scanner. Avast didn't even make "30%" if I recall correctly.

Anyway, you've made a choice to always use an on-access scanner so fair enough.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ssj100 on 8/7/2010, 17:15

This doesn't sound related specifically to Panda Cloud Antivirus, and it's not really surprising news - there're always nasty 0-day vulnerabilities out there.

ssj100
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/7/2010, 17:16

Thanks for removing the sig link from your post mtpl Smile (games links etc) I tend to regard that sort of thing as spam.
Patrick Admin
mtptl wrote:As you’ve probably heard by now there’s a very nasty 0-day vulnerability in Adobe (CVE-2010-1297) that’s being used to infect people using drive-by exploits from infected websites. Of course all AV vendors are currently struggling and in a hurry to release updated signatures to detect the different variations of malicious PDF files that are being released into the wild.

Back to top Go down

Post by nolob on 12/7/2010, 12:26

I was very impressed when I tested Panda Cloud AV (free) against 10+ trojan links. Caught everything but one.

(Of course, the test lacks significance on its own.)

After detecting most of the links, Panda claimed a restart was required.

That's not very impressive compared to others but is that normal for a cloud scanner? (I know a restart is sometimes required but not usually as often as that.)

If I were to start using anti-virus software again, Pand Cloud would be a big candidate.

nolob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicholassentry on 6/5/2011, 13:29

Panda Cloud Antivirus was notable as a free security solution for two reasons: Panda traded on its reputation as a solid security suite vendor making its first foray into the realm of freeware, and the program attained its goal of freeing up system resources by putting much of the program's heavy lifting in the cloud.
nicholassentry

View user profile http://www.sentrysecurity.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top